Here at Coffee Gator, we are huge fans of matcha. 1 tsp of matcha powder has about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, so it makes for the perfect alternative to coffee when you’re looking for something different to drink.
Traditional Matcha Preparation Instructions
- Bring 3 ounces of spring or freshly drawn filtered water to between 173 - 175℉.
- Measure between 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of matcha powder for thick tea (koicha) or thin tea (usucha), as well as flavor preference. Thick tea (koicha) is the usual style for ceremonial grade matcha.
- Sift the matcha powder in the tea bowl, gently pressing any clumps through the sifter.
- Slowly add water to the bowl in stages.
- Using a bamboo matcha whisk, vigorously whip in a "M" shaped motion until the tea is aerated and a creamy foam has formed on the surface.
- Repeat steps 4-5 for a total of 3 times or until all water has been added.
- Add sweetener for taste (optional).
- Enjoy every sip!
- Make sure your water is the correct temperature because if the water is too hot your tea will turn out bitter. Using the correct temperature will also ensure that the healthy compounds and caffeine will be extracted without burning or damaging the matcha.